Saturday, February 28, 2009

The Stove Project for Changu Narayan, Nepal

Some of you more careful readers, (Mom, Dad) may remember that I had plans to visit a stove distributor in Bangaluru for the purpose of inspecting and sending if appropriate a couple of samples to the village project in Nepal. Well, that visit did turn out to be fruitful. I arrived at their swanky office in a somewhat sweaty and dishevelled condition as is my bent when travelling in this hot, dusty country, it seems. In spite of my appearrance, they were very polite, gave me a tour and let me use their computer to check for a non-PO box address to receive some stoves and made arrangements to send 2 models up to Kathmandu. I showed them my photos of the stove project we saw up there at their Centre for Rural Development in Kathmandu. A very pleasant man named, Ravi was my guide and told me he is fluent in the 5 languages of the areas around Bangaluru in which they are working now. They have plans to expand up to Maharashtra and Gujarat in the next year or so. They've been in the current location for about a year and a half. Ravi took me to an ATM where I withdrew about $100 worth of rupees and paid for 2 stoves and shipping to Nepal. They will send them as soon as they receive a physical address from me. I'm excited about the combined efforts of the stove technology in Bangaluru and the fuel developments in Kathmandu and the resulting potential for improvement of air quality and stopping deforestation. Another success story!

No comments:

Post a Comment