Thursday, March 26, 2009

Rukhminibai Lives!



Here is a letter I received via e-mail from the surgeon who replaced my friend's mitral valve and repaired the tricuspid. This was done in a full-on open-heart surgery procedure that lasted about 5-6 hours, wherin Shirish, bless him, opened her chest by sawing through the sternum with a surgical jig-saw, I kid you not. In this photo taken about 10 days after the surgery, my friend, Rukhminibai is pictured on the right, next to her daughter Alaknanda, and Alaknanda's daughter, Prachi. I first met Rukhminibai when I was 17, she was 24, and Alaknanda was 5.


My dear Cynthia,

I hope this note finds you in good health. Rukmini our patient came for follow up today. I was so happy to see her and did remember all your efforts for her. I was especially touched by your patiently waiting outside the ICU for hours on end while Rukmini was recovering after surgery. Rukmini is doing well. Her symptoms are almost gone and she is doing all her routine activities. Her heart size on Chest X-ray has remarkable decreased. Her operative wounds are healed well and her Anticoagulation blood reports are within the expected levels. I have readjusted her medicines and have called her for follow-up after 2 months. I praise God for having helped this patient back to almost normal health.

I thank you so much for putting your trust in my small department and allowing us to treat your patient and giving us this great opportunity to be instruments of healing in our Makers Hands.

With love and prayers,

SHIRISH

Dr. Shirish S. Pargaonkar

Head, Cardio-vascular & Thoracic Surgery

In-charge, Miraj Heart Institute,

Medical Superintendent, Wanless Hospital

Miraj - 416410 , INDIA

Mobile: 9823066280

E mail: shiripar@hotmail.com

shiripar@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment