Monday, March 9, 2009

Last day in the village











Spent Saturday evening, night and Sunday in Maliwada, having tea with old friends, meeting new friends, children, wives and husbands, having beaucoup cups of chai, chai, everywhere chai. These people feed me and give me chai and snacks every few minutes and then ask why I'm so fat. We sang bhajans together. I relented and let the ladies dress me in a sari, marathi farm style, through the legs in front and tucked in the waist at the back. They couldn't help but giggle and laugh, but so appreciated my effort to engage in local custom. They were constantly honoring me with red powder on the forehead. I honored them by drinking their tea, singing their religious songs with them, and wearing their clothes, and generally enjoying their beautiful smiles and enthusiasm for life. I found a computer genius named Ravi who downloaded my pictures and videos on his harddrive to share with the others. Who would have thought that possible in little old Maliwada? Maliwada now has a bank, restaurants (not just tea stalls) and shops with everything from bangles, saris, shoes, hankies, to motorcycle parts and building supplies. They seem to be thriving. And growing. New infants, this one only 7 days old, pulled out from under the bed when reviewing the family tree. Some things are just the same. Pundlik in his blacksmith shop, started by his grandfather and continued by his father. His youngest son, my friend Nandakishore helps him in the shop sometimes. Granny in her glasses watching the world go by.

1 comment: